Choral Arts Ensemble of Rochester (CAE) and Honors Choirs of Southeast Minnesota (HCSM) are
seeking an Artistic Director upon the retirement in May 2024 of the founding director of both
organizations. Both groups have been recognized with performances at ACDA and Chorus America conferences. With closely aligned missions, similar responsibilities, and a history of cooperation, we are seeking a person qualified to assume both positions. Working half-time for each organization results in a full-time commitment to choral music.
Position SummaryThe Artistic Director is the visionary leader and principal conductor for both organizations. Working with both Boards of Directors and co-leading the organizations with each Executive Director, the Artistic Director creates and executes programming that advances the respective missions.
Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles, the AD leads program development, singer recruiting, commissioning, and building partnerships among the arts organizations. The AD is the primary external ambassador for both organizations, both on and off the podium, always sharing a passion and enthusiasm for this art form.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Serving as principal conductor for CAE and HCSM Concert Choir (Grades 10-12) at rehearsals performances, public appearances, tours, recording sessions, and fundraising events.
- Providing musical supervision and support for directors leading the younger choirs (Grades 1-9).
- Creating an artistic vision that inspires singers and audiences, advancing the organization’s missions and strategic goals, always seeking to expand the audience base, and finding avenues for outreach to expose the public to the choral arts.
- Working with the respective executive directors and boards in developing budgets, grant proposals, fundraising activities, strategic plans, and outreach initiatives.
- Developing concert programs that are innovative and rewarding for both singers and audiences.
- Creating a rehearsal atmosphere that welcomes and respects singers, is artistically challenging and nurtures vocal health and skill development.
- Recruiting and auditioning singers for choirs and working to achieve the strongest possible choral product.
- Planning future seasons (programs, commissions, etc.) while preparing and presenting the current season’s works.
- Attending CAE and HCSM board meetings, informing them of choir activities and plans.
- Partnering with the CAE, HCSM executive directors, and respective boards to ensure fiscal health.
- Personally meeting with sponsors, donors, and grant sources whenever beneficial.
- Representing CAE and HCSM in regional and national forums to retain relevancy regarding choral programming, audience development, and related matters.
- Working with collaborating arts ensembles, commissioning new works, and maintaining ongoing familiarity with the finest new choral repertoire and composers
- Performing other duties as required or as may be assigned by the CAE and HCSM Boards of Directors.
Qualifications and Experiences
The successful candidate will have these qualifications:
- Proven experience in artistic leadership and choral performance
- A broad knowledge of choral literature and a passion for creative programming
- Demonstrated choral conducting expertise, effective rehearsal technique, and enthusiasm for working with both adult and student singers
- Excellent communication and cooperation skills to work effectively with Executive Directors, Boards of Directors, staff, parents, volunteers, and singers
- Capacity to positively represent both organizations to our audiences, sponsors and donor community, area music teachers, and the general public
- Master’s degree in music, DMA preferred
- Intent to establish full-time residence in the Rochester area
Total compensation for the combined CAE and HCSM positions, including a health care allowance, will range to $100,000 based on qualifications and experience. Additional benefits include a retirement plan with a 3% employer match, vacation, sick, and personal leave benefits. A relocation package may also be considered.
Please submit the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter and CV or resume that includes background, accomplishments, and approach to choral programming
- A list of 3-4 professional references
- Video examples of conducting from current positions (via links)
Application documents should be sent to email@example.com
Questions may be directed to the Search Committee at the same address.