Ensemble Music Director – Seasons of Love
Federal City Performing Arts Association (FCPAA) is the umbrella organization for the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC, Potomac Fever, Rock Creek Singers, GenOUT Youth Chorus, Seasons of Love, and 17th Street Dance. Entering its 42nd season, FCPAA has performed in venues all over the Washington region, across the nation, and internationally. Our home in the nation’s capital provides FCPAA regular opportunities to perform in events of historical and political significance. With 200+ volunteer performers and an annual budget of $1.5M, FCPAA presents a wide range of musical styles during its concert season. Additionally, as part of FCPAA’s mission to sing as a voice of equality to connect multiple communities, members of FCPAA participate in 125+ outreach events each year.
About Seasons of Love
Seasons of Love is GMCW’s 24-voice inspirational group that sings sacred, pop, and Broadway songs in the gospel style. The group’s name is borrowed from the musical Rent, which was written and composed by Jonathan Larson.
About the Role
The Ensemble Music Director (EMD) is a part-time position designed primarily to direct and provide artistic leadership and vision for FCPAA’s outreach ensemble Seasons of Love. The EMD will also occasionally work with the full chorus, as deemed necessary by the Artistic Director. The EMD functions as an independent contractor and the position does not include any employee benefits beyond the agreed upon compensation.
- Rehearse a selection of repertoire in weekly Seasons of Love rehearsals (Tuesdays, 7-9pm, September-June) for main stage and outreach performances, and conduct the ensemble as necessary
- Provide a positive and affirming musical experience for the chorus members at rehearsals and performances
- Continually grow in knowledge about TTBB repertoire and create new arrangements, as appropriate
- Work with volunteer leaders
- Select soloists and instrumentalists for Seasons of Love, as necessary
- Audition potential new singers for Seasons of Love
- Work with other musical and artistic organizations in collaborative efforts
- Engage multiple communities through programming and outreach efforts
- Lead long-term artistic planning, collaborating with the Artistic Director as it pertains to programming
The Ensemble Music Director reports to the FCPAA Artistic Director and will work through the FCPAA Executive Director on all financial matters.
FCPAA will make reasonable accommodations regarding the essential duties of this position in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Any other requests for accommodations should be brought to the FCPAA Artistic Director for consideration.
FCPAA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, gender, marital status, disability, educational background, socioeconomic status, or status as a US veteran. Final applicants will be subject to a background check.
Ensemble Music Director
The Ensemble Music Director is an independent contractor position and will be compensated based on experience, within a range of $12,500-15,000 per season. Reimbursements for reasonable items, such as food, supplies, rentals, parking, etc. will be reviewed and disbursed accordingly upon receipt and review of invoices/receipts.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Ensemble Music Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.